FAQ

What's a memory burn?

A candle "remembers" its first melt pool. The first time you light your candle, the size of that first melt pool will determine that of every future burn.

In order to get the most out of your candle, the first time you light it, let it burn until the melt pool reaches the edge, or within 1/4" of it – about one hour per inch in diameter – to prevent tunneling. For The Glow Co's ten-ounce container candles, that's usually around three hours. 

I didn't do a memory burn the first time I lit my candle! How can I fix it?

Use a heat gun or hot hair dryer to melt the wax until the melt pool reaches the edges and the top of the candle is even. If this causes the wick to drown (become too small to stay lit), use a cotton ball or the edge of a paper towel to soak up and remove some wax.

My candle isn’t melting the wax all the way to the edge. What’s wrong?

If you’ve let it burn for at least three hours and there’s still 1/4” or so of unmelted wax at the edges, don’t worry! As you burn repeatedly over time, the container will warm up and melt it all down. It will catch up in the end.

The flame looks small. Did I trim it too short?

As long as the melt pool reaches within 1/4” of the edge in about three hours on the first burn, it’s all good! If you’re worried the wick might drown, you can always rescue it by spooning out a little bit of melted wax.

My candle is smoking. What’s wrong?

Trim that wick. As long the wick is trimmed to about 1/4” each time you light it, it should not create any smoke or soot. When the flame is too large, it will not only smoke, but it will melt too much wax and burn off the scent too quickly.

Sometimes when you burn a candle for too long, it can create some smoke. That's why I recommend only burning a candle for about four hours at a time, maximum. Also, for safety reasons.

What is the scent made of?

Your health, and that of our environment, is super important to me! My scents are made from a combination of essential oils, resins, and synthetic aroma compounds which are non-toxic. They are phthalate-free, vegan, cruelty-free, and contain no Prop 65 ingredients. 

Why not just use essential oils? Aren't they more natural?

Basically, the fragrance oils I use work better, and are cheaper and safer than essential oils:

1. Candles made with fragrance oils burn and throw scent more consistently, because they are specially formulated to bind with wax.

2. Essential oil is a lot more expensive. The price of my candles would be insanely high if I used them alone!

3. When burned, many essential oils have an off smell, and can even be toxic.

Have another question?

Reach out and let me know!

 


.grid-view-item .product-price__price { display: none; }